KARACHI: Commodore Tahir Javed has said that 90 delegations of 43 countries are participating in IDEAS 2016, while 261 foreign and 157 Pakistani firms will put up their stalls at the expo center.
Addressing a press conference on 9th IDEAS 2016 starting from November 22 at the Karachi Expo Center, Director Media Defense Export Promotion Organization Commodore Tahir Javed said that the exhibition has been extended from all the previous IDEAS expos and foreign defense delegations have responded positively over the invitations and 90 delegations from 43 countries are participating in the exhibition.
He said that two MoUs were signed in 2014, while this year 14 MoUs will be signed. The International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS) is the biggest defence exhibition of international stature, held biennially in Pakistan. The route leading to the Expo Centre from Karachi Airport has been decorated with national flags and buntings and the traffic police have announced alternate routes as the four-day International Defence Exhibition and Seminar (IDEAS) 2016 is set to begin on Nov 22.
The IDEAS 2014 was successfully conducted from 1-4 December 2014, at Expo Center, Karachi. It was 8th in the series, since the inception of the Exhibition. The IDEAS 2014 had an opportunity and distinction to host participants from 67 countries. It also attracted 256 exhibitors, 88 foreign defence delegations (from 50 countries) including trade visitors.
According to DEPO, the IDEAS-2014 was a great success. All the defence delegates, exhibitors, trade visitors and speakers of the seminar/sideline conferences conveyed their appreciation for the elaborate planning, efficient organization, flawless and befitting conduct of this mega international event of our region. The forum indeed helped to project Pakistan as a modern, progressive and tolerant state that is determined to recover her distorted image.
Now, the IDEAS 2016 would improve the image of Karachi at international level, the District Municipal Corporation (DMC) Korangi said in a statement on Sunday as it placed welcome banners for the delegates from Karachi Airport up to Drigh Road and also decorated the route with national flags and buntings.
While the office of the DIG Traffic Police, Karachi, in a statement said on Sunday that instructions had been issued regarding alternate routes and diversions for public, commercial and private vehicles owners in connection with IDEAS 2016 to be held at the Expo Centre, Karachi, from Nov 22 to 25. The motorists have been requested to follow the following instructions to avoid any inconvenience.
1) All commercial vehicles coming from Karachi Airport towards Stadium via Karsaz will be diverted towards Baloch Colony U turn from Tipu Sultan Bridge towards the Shaheed-e-Millat Road to approach the Jail Flyover, University Road, Gharibabad, etc.
2) Both tracks of the University Road will remain open for vehicular traffic. However,
i) All commercial vehicles coming from SITE area to proceed Sharae Faisal or Karsaz will be diverted from Liaquatabd No10 to Sharae-e-Pakistan.
ii) All vehicles coming from Liaquatabad-Gharibabad to proceed Sharae-e-Faisal or Karsaz will be diverted before Hassan Square Flyover (left) towards Sehba Akhtar Road, Machli Cut, University Road, University Road to NIPA and U Turn towards Rashid Minhas to Drigh Road and Sharae-e-Faisal. The Hassan Square Flyover will remain closed.
3) During the exhibition, Sir Shah Suleman Road from Hassan Square up to the Stadium Intersection will be closed.
4) Only sticker bearing vehicles will be allowed to proceed from the Stadium Bridge to Karachi Expo Center for their designated parking area.
However, the rest of the vehicular traffic will be diverted towards the Stadium Road under the Stadium Bridge right towards Dalmia and Millennium, similarly left towards Dhoraji, New Town PS, etc.
5) The public and heavy vehicles coming from Sohrab Goth towards the city area are advised to use Sharae-e-Pakistan and Sher Shah Soori Road (Nagan towards Board Office).
Similarly, the traffic coming from the University Road towards city area should use NIPA left turn Rashid Minhas.
6) Heavy public and commercial vehicles coming from Karsaz towards Stadium will not be allowed from Karsaz Flyover.
7) No vehicle will be permitted to park along the route at and around Expo Centre ie Sir Shah Suleman Road, Stadium Crossing to Hassan Square and Hassan Square to Baitul Mukaram Masjid. The route will be kept clear of all parking and other obstructions.
The general information for the residents at Hassan Square were: All residents at and around the area of Hassan Square and other road users are requested to follow instructions of Traffic Police to avoid inconvenience.
Sir Shah Suleman Road from Hassan Square Bridge up to National Stadium, normal traffic will not be allowed.
So public is requested to use the Sehba Akhtar Road, Machli Cut, University Road to NIPA, or U turn at Jafri Optics, KDA Society, National Stadium backside Steel Yar Cut, Stadium Road, LDA Office, U Turn to Karsaz and onwards.
The people were requested to follow the instructions of Traffic Police.